Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I love/hate my job.

I love seeing the delight of my students when they're engaged in their work, when the room is bustling with productivity and excitment, when finally they see the product of their labor.

I hate it when I see the utter lack of respect for such projects, the freakin' inabiliy of some to NOT damage the things around them, the freakin' inability to even treat each other with decency. I hate that I've come to believe that education is not for everyone, and that it doesn't benefit anyone that some people are in school.

And I hate the fact that some students take everything for granted and have no sense of responsibility whatsoever. That they expect everything to be handed to them, because they themselves have never been taught that they need to work for something in order to earn it. That they have no sense of propriety of picking up after themselves, and that it turns to the teacher to have to do the work of 120 individuals.

But it's not everyone..

Is it more valuable to focus on the students who do have a chance, or the students who are falling to the wayside? Human nature makes it so difficult to do the latter.

2 comments:

Snowflakes82 said...

i finally caught up to you younguns on blogspot...

Jerry said...

my natural response is to leave those students who are falling by the wayside, but that response is from an administrative point of view.

in person, hard to say. but those kids who have a chance should definitely be given attention.